Interesting Facts About Indian Railways
The Indian Railway is still in service of the nation since its launch in 1853 and its success can be viewed from the fact that it is considered as the lifeline of Indian economy and its citizens. With time it too has gone through different phases faced tumultuous period during the long journey of its service. There Are Many Interesting Fact about Indian Railway.
In spite of all these the Indian railway stood firm today and look at its glorious past, incredible feats, achievements, laurels and acclaimed across the globe only depicts the success story. Whether it is to carry passengers or freight railway and people associated with it have done efficient and astounding work to make us proud.
Most Amazing Facts About Indian Railways | Facts About The Indian Railways
- The railway network spreads across India is one of the largest in Asia and one among top five in the world.
- It is operated by a single government which is unique in itself.
- More passengers travel daily as compared to airlines and other modes of transportation.
- It carries millions to tons of goods annually which is highest among other countries.
- Gorakhpur station has the longest platform.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is known for its beauty, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, Nilgiri Mountain Railway, and Kalka Shimla Railway are included in UNESCO World Heritage site list.
- Mughalsarai Junction station is known as the largest assembling yard across Asia.
- Kolkata Metro of Indian Railway is the underwater metro of the nation.
- World’s oldest locomotive which runs on a steam engine is the ‘Fairy Queen’ is still in Indian railway’s fleet.
- It has world-renowned luxury trains and a major tourist attraction – Palace on Wheels, Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, The Golden Chariot, The Deccan Odyssey and The Maharajas’ Express is also the Most Expensive Luxury Train among the rest.
- The Vivek Express has the longest route in India. The train covers the distance between Dibrugarh in Assam and Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu.
- Howrah (Kolkata) in West Bengal is the busiest railway station.
- Samjhuata Express travels on the international border from Delhi to Lahore.
- Most routes emerge from Mathura Junction in Uttar Pradesh.
- Nagpur is known as the ‘diamond crossing’ as from there trains travel to all the four directions – east, west, north, and south.
- Pir Panjal Railway tunnel in J&K is the longest tunnel so far in the country.
- Indian Railway is among top ten employers in the world.
- It has eight museums to showcase the rich heritage of Indian Railway – Delhi which is the largest in Asia, Kolkata, Chennai, Pune, Kanpur, Mysore, Tiruchirappalli, and Ghum.
- ‘Bholu’ the elephant guard is the mascot of Indian Railway.
- Konkan route is the beautiful route due to its natural pristine.
- World’s highest railway bridge is under construction over Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir.
- In 1986 Indian railway achieved a milestone by launching computerized reservation from New Delhi.
Being Indian citizen and a proud passenger of Indian Railway not only make us feel elated but also reflect the tremendous development that has taken place in railways over the years and acclaimed throughout the world.Now You are aware Of Incredible facts about Indian Railway it’s a lifeline of Our transport system.